Friday, February 5, 2010

At home with the Hlakulas

Here's some pictures from my two days spent as a guest of Faith Hlakula, her mother-in-law, Mrs Hlakula, and Thembi, Ana and Junior.

The road in, built by Walter Sisulu

Waiting for a lift to the far end of the valley

The sun goes down over my first night




African silhouette


It's a goat's life


Walter Sisulu photograph on the wall of Ellen Hlakula's house


Blink and you could be in Scotland


School's out, let the dancing for the camera commence


Faith and the Xhosa steamed bread. Yum


Samp and beans. My favourite African dish


The local teens dance for the camera to music on their mobile


Faith and me


Faith hard at work in her mother-in-law's kitchen


Jumping beans, Ana and Thembi


Ana, Thembi and me at dinner time


With my hosts (minus Junior, who was off playing somewhere)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Claire

    Do you mind contacting me at Ohlakula@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete