Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The story continues

It's been a long time since I've posted. In that time I've written nearly 30,000 words of a book based on this trip, had it approved by an editorial committee at a South African publishing house and rejected by the management committee at the same publishing house. My editor encourages me to keep going. To finish the book, and so that's where I find myself this Scottish winter.

I've been back writing for two weeks now and I'm starting to get back into my stride. As the first frosts arrive and the trees outside my window shiver without their leaves, it's wonderful to be able to courie (Scots word: burrow) inside my imagination and memories and return to the hot and dusty roads of the old Transkei in the lead up to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

My editor reassures me that writing a book takes a long time, so I'm drowning out the critical voice inside my head that is demanding to know what's taking so long, and every day I write another 1000 words. Today it dawned on me that I will finish this book this winter. That by February 2012, Another Country (working title) will be ready for an audience.

I hope you will be one of the first to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment